If you have a balance in MySchoolBucks when your child is graduating or transferring to another division, you may request a refund of the balance on your account.  Refunds will be provided via check for any balance that is $10 and over.  If the balance is less than $10, then the balance can be transferred to another student or will need to be spent before leaving.

In order to arrange a refund, please email Leslie Smith ([email protected]).  In the email, please Include the student's name, your name and the address where the check should be mailed.