Kindergarten registration is an ongoing process from April to September. Parents are encouraged to bring their child on the official Kindergarten Registration Day, April 20, 2017, between 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. For more information on this process, please read the information below.
What is the age requirement for kindergarten?
Children must be 5 years old on or before Sept. 30, 2017.
When will kindergarten registration take place?
Between 9:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on April 20, 2017, parents should register their children at the school they are zoned to attend. To find the correct school, parents may call 804-966-9650 or look at the attendance zone map.
Does the child need to accompany the parent to registration?
Yes. On registration day, children will be given a kindergarten screening which usually takes about 15 minutes. Parents will also have the opportunity to tour the school.
What information should parents bring to registration?
- Parent’s photo ID
- Child’s certified original birth certificate
- Proof of residency by providing one of these documents:
- current utility bill
- rental lease
- deed or contract
- plus photo identification (Driver’s License, DMV ID, or Military ID)
What items are required by the first day of school?
- Record of a physical examination within the past 12 months
- Updated records listing dates of each state-required immunization
What if a parent is unable to attend on April 20?
- Please make every effort to register your child on April 20. If this is not possible, call the school to set up an appointment as soon as possible.
- For more information, call your neighborhood school.
- New Kent Elementary School: 804-966-9663
- George Watkins Elementary School: 804-966-9660